another fresh seafood idea
Today homemade flaked fish using fresh fillets or shellfish provides a versatile alternative to the popular canned fish we buy. Delicious appetizers, salads, sandwiches, fish cakes and casseroles can be easily prepared with fresh fish flakes. And they can be used in any recipe that calls for canned fish.
- 1 cup flaked fish
- 1/2 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, including tops
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped pimento
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups freshly grated mild cheddar cheese
Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium heat. Blend in flour. Stirring constantly, add milk gradually and continue until sauce is smooth and thick. Add salt, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, olives, pimento and Worcestershire. Mix well. Gently stir in flaked fish, shrimp and 1/3 cup of cheese. Continue cooking over low heat until cheese is melted.
Place in greased, medium shallow casserole. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Serves 4 to 6.
Contributed by Joyce Taylor