Congrats are in order for the North Carolina chefs up for the 2017 awards known as “The Oscars of Food.”
- The News & Observer highlights 2017 James Beard Foundation Award semifinalists, including Ashley Christensen of Poole’s Diner in Raleigh, Andrea Reusing of Lantern in Chapel Hill, and Vivian Howard of Chef & the Farmer in Kinston.
Feeling the winter blues yet? Try these zesty, Asian-inspired seafood dishes for fresh flavors and a nutritional “feel-good” boost.
- Food and Wine shares a recipe by Reusing, who also was the 2011 winner of James Beard’s Best Chef: Southeast. If steamed fish sounds plain, this flavor-packed dish of steamed wild striped bass with ginger and scallions might change your mind.
- Mariner’s Menu offers a recipe for steamed shrimp with soy-ginger sauce.
- Star News features a quick video tutorial to Do Your Own Dim Sum. This traditional Chinese dumpling dish combines shrimp, scallops and crabmeat for a simple, savory filling.
- UNC-TV’s PBS | Food is serving panko-crusted oysters with sambal aioli.