Spring feels like it’s just around the corner. A variety of festivals and events are making the start of the season look delicious.
Here’s what’s coming up in the food scene:
- Wilmington Star News shares a trio of food events coming to the Cape Fear region, including the 21st annual Pleasure Island Chowder Cook-Off, held April 8 at Carolina Beach Lake Park. Follow the link for entry and ticketing information or additional events.
- News & Observer highlights March food events in the Triangle, including the chance to learn seafood preparation from chef Nick Malgieri, founder of the Institute of Culinary Education’s baking program in New York City, on March 12. Chef Sean Fowler of the Mandolin in Raleigh also will hold a class on March 29. Experiment Silician-style with Malgieri’s swordfish pie, or get your fill of oysters with Fowler, who’s serving grilled, wild North Carolina oysters, oysters mandolin, and cornbread and oyster stuffing. The ticketed classes will be held at Southern Season in Chapel Hill. See the full list for details and additional events.
- Don’t miss the new culinary series, The Chef & The Maker, coming to Pinehurst Resort. The series will feature three North Carolina chefs, including Raleigh chef Ashley Christensen of Poole’s Diner, Charlotte chef Clark Barlowe of Heirloom Restaurant, and Asheville chef Katie Button of Nightbell and Cúrate. Events are open to the public. The News & Observer has details on costs and ticketing options.
And here are fresh recipes to try, featuring shrimp and crab:
- UNC-TV’s PBS | Food offers a Fresh Tastes recipe for red pepper pesto pasta with shrimp.
- Island Life NC is serving cheesy crab and shrimp casserole.
- Mariner’s Menu shares a recipe for light, colorful crab salad.